| WGN Channel 9 - Newsbreak (1978)|
Here's a mostly intact Newsbreak from WGN Channel 9 (the "early morning" sign-off edition), read by Ron Rolland. Includes:
Animated WGN "Last Farewell" Station ID (voiceover by Ron Rolland)
Opening of Newsbreak with simple slide and "Effervescence" by Dorf van der Linden, playing.
The following items are mentioned:
- Egypt's President Anwar el-Sadat to travel to Washington next weekend to meet with President Carter to get the stalled Egyptian-Israeli peace talks back on track, and to try to get more U.S. military aid
- Canadian officials searching Northwest territory for remains of fallen Soviet satellite
- Jewish leaders angered over Illinois Supreme Court decision (rendered on January 27th) allowing neo-Nazis to march in Skokie (Illinois Nazis...I hate Illinois Nazis...)
- Investigators with National Transportation Safety Board find possible reasons for crash of two Illinois Central commuter trains in downtown Chicago on Thursday (the 26th); more than 300 were injured, with 11 hospitalized
- Chicago police looking for suspects who killed 57-year-old Leonard James of 7738 South Champlain Avenue, owner of Hyde Park jewelry store, Fair(?) Jewelers at 1525 East 53rd Street, on the 27th; he had been bound, gagged and stabbed more than 60 times
- In college basketball, two games to be played in Chicago (later on the 28th): 2nd-ranked Marquette to take on Loyola (Loyola won 68-64), and 9th-ranked Providence to meet DePaul (DePaul won 78-68); in other Big 10 action, Northwestern at Wisconsin (Northwestern won 93-85) and Minnesota at Purdue (Purdue won 72-64)
- In pro basketball, Chicago Bulls unable to return home for game against Washington Bullets scheduled for the 27th; it is rescheduled for March 16th (which the Bulls won, 111-107); meanwhile, later tonight they are to play New York Knicks at Madison Square Garden (the Knicks won that one, 108-96)
- In hockey, Detroit Red Wings to play Chicago Black Hawks at Chicago Stadium (Chicago won 6-1)
- Reading of weather forecast for Saturday, with snow predicted (tape cuts off as announcer reads temperatures)
This aired on local Chicago TV early Saturday, January 28th 1978 between (approximately) 4:05am and 4:09am.
Click here to search for related videos.
This clip aired on Saturday, January 28th 1978, and is included in the following categories:
|This clip has been viewed 4246 times.|
This clip debuted on FuzzyMemories.TV on Saturday, January 7th 2012.